Spring is one of my favorite seasons; it holds so many promises. Promises of warm weather, sunshine, bright colors, and home renovations. Or is that last one just me?
I like to freshen up my decor during the springtime in areas that I feel are stale or that I didn’t get to during the previous year for various reasons. Either the budget didn’t allow for it (usually) or we ran out of time (often). Sometimes it’s just that my ideas and wants are lofty, but to that I say, it’s good for a girl to dream!
As soon as the tulips hit the stores you can find a bouquet on my table. Then it will be an assortment of daffodils and daisies. I love how a simple bouquet of spring blooms instantly raises the energy of a space. It is often my go-to for freshening up a room or adding final touches to a look. If you enjoy gardening or have a green thumb, try keeping a blooming houseplant or two around your home! For those who aren’t so talented in the plant department, succulents are another great way to add some greenery to a room without a lot of maintenance. Or go faux. There are some very realistic fake plants and succulents too. Just keep them dusted!
Spring Is In The Aisle
You may have noticed the seasonal switch to spring and summer products in stores too. The colors seem brighter, the textiles are more natural, and there is a generally happier environment as you browse the aisles. Hold up! Before you wipe everything off the shelf and into your cart, as I am often tempted to do, step back and take a closer look at the pieces. Ask yourself a few questions. Is there an individual item, or three, that catch your eye? What is it about them that you love? Can they coordinate with other pieces you already have at home? Or do you need to start over and completely restyle a table or shelf?
Play With Color
This time of year I feel bolder with my colors after the winter neutrals. You can go crazy like a child jumping in puddles and get away with it or you can add pops of color like crocuses peeking through the snow. Not sure where to start? Take your inspiration from nature! Coral is a hot color right now (Pantone’s choice for 2019 Color of the Year) so chase that summer vibe dream!
Go Bold This Spring
Some quick ways to introduce brighter colors are:
- Flowers: we discussed this earlier how fresh flowers and plants can brighten up a room. Or you can use floral prints instead! Focus on accent items such as pillows, curtains, pictures, table runners, plates, etc. Find a type of flower, color combination or a pattern that you love and spread the joy! Big floral patterns are fun and modern.
- Throw Pillows: you can never have enough throw pillows! You can use them indoors and out. There are infinite pattern and color options available for throw pillows so you can mix and match any number of combinations. Or change the pillows out seasonally and extend their life at the same time.
- Art: get a new painting with cheerful colors to hang up in place of one of your regulars, then switch them back in the fall
- Refresh Your Paint: this is a little more time consuming but I find my walls always look better with a fresh coat of paint, even if it’s the same color I already had. Sometimes you can get that new-room effect with just a can of paint instead of splurging on a full-out renovation.
- Candles: these come in an assortment of color and are easy to swap around, and move from place to place. Give them a casual feel by lighting them briefly to burn the tip. It gives them a look of comfort, even if you don’t plan to burn them regularly.
Spring is a time of new beginnings, fresh starts, and forgiveness. Now is a great time to experiment with paint and prints that you admire! And if it doesn’t work out, be kind to yourself. One of the best ways to find your design style is to be adventurous and play around with new patterns and colors. Maybe you will find that you are best suited for a blend of styles! If you don’t give it a try now, you may never do it. Then you will miss out on a great opportunity to express yourself through your home decor. Baby steps are fine! You don’t have to do a complete overhaul (unless you are after a completely fresh start, then You Go Girl!).
Starting small though will give you the taste and feel of a different vibe, without overwhelming you with the change. Then you can ask yourself a few questions. How does it make you feel when you are surrounded by that style? Do those textures and colors makes you smile or cringe? Are you feeling drawn to that room or do you avoid it? Take some time to explore your thoughts and feelings to make sure your home is best aligned with your personality. Let it shine!
What new products or colors are you trying out this year? Any new trends that you are tempted to try? I would love to hear about it! Leave a comment to tell me what’s on your mind.
Leave a Reply